oregon adventures

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

7-Mile Run and Castle Ride


Monday I did a 7 mile run in the reverse route of last Monday's 7-miler with a slight modification. There's a small bike shop near the club and my training partner (Cecilie) wanted to see a tri bike they had on display, so we swung into the shopping center and looked at that. Then started up again and did a big loop. She very subtlety bumbed up the pace at one point and I found myself unable to talk. Looked at the Garmin and we were running at 7:41 pace, so I tried to keep it there as long as I could just gasping comments when needed. Then finally said "can you slow down just a bit". She said "I was wondering when you were going to say that". Anyway, she did that a couple more times during the run for tempo work, then down to a 10:00 pace so I could breath again. The third time she did that the Garmin said a 7:25 pace. Back to the club for 7 miles in 1:01 for an 8:43 pace. She had to go before the swim, so I thought I'd have to swim alone for the first time in months. But when I got to the pool a girl from the team was there and I joined here for 700, then a guy from the team joined us for 1000 more.
Tuesday Cecilie and I rode out past the castle (top picture) and out a river road and up some good sized hills. We had a headwind the first part of the ride and I still had to really push it to stay with her as she led. Climbing the hills I tried to keep her within pitching wedge distance (100 yards). This is a new experience, usually I'm waiting at the top for the people I ride with, not with Cecilie. Thinking of buying a tri bike, so I have made the granny ring (small front ring) off limits and some of the hills Tuesday I normally would have used it, but the tri bike has only two rings in front so I have to get used to that. Stats: 20.5 miles 15.8 average.
I must apologize for the last post. After a couple comments I realized I forgot a crucial bit of info. It should have read a very pretty married girl. If it had been a very pretty single girl, I would have tripped over myself ripping the bike off the trainer. As it is I still felt bad, because she is really nice and part of the tri group. I love working out with all the girls, but they are all married.

5 Comments:

  • Oh yea! That last little bit of information is killer ;-) Oh well... It's still cool having beautiful people with which to ride.

    Holy moly on that pace, dude! I want to add some pick me ups to my Thursday runs now, but nothing like that. Wow!!

    I've got three rings on my hybrid. I've managed to stay out of the granny ring on all those damn hills in my neighborhood. Now, I'm working on getting out of first on the back ring too. Nice ride and impressive average!

    By Blogger Wes, at 10:20 AM  

  • I'm glad you clarified, i thought you might be slippin! :)

    GREAT workouts so far this week!

    By Blogger Neese, at 10:39 AM  

  • Too funny! We're all trying to give you advice on picking up a married woman. :)

    Your running is sounding awesome! Glad to hear it. That must mean that injury is no longer slowing you down.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 PM  

  • I always look forward to your posts. I love the pics and the adventures of your workouts. Sounds like a great workout!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 8:04 PM  

  • Hey 7 miles and no mention of foot pain. Is it all gone?

    By Blogger Bullet, at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home