oregon adventures

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Wauna Viewpoint Hike & Club Run


Wauna Viewpoint Hike
Sunday my Friend Kevin and I went hiking in the Gorge to Wauna Viewpoint. Got to the trailhead and realized I'd forgotten my camera- uugh! Clouds all around but clear at the trailhead. Started out and my foot hurt at first. We walked along a paved bike path that the trail starts at, but got to talking and missed the actual trail and did a half mile each way extra. The trail goes up through big trees and lots of moss. The trail had a few down trees to go over, but nice. At one point it started raining slightly and then the rain hurt. Looked at the ground and saw ice pellets- it was hailing. Got to the top and it had cleared again and there was a great view of the Gorge and Cascade Locks. Wish I'd had the camera- next time. Stats: 5.8 miles 900 feet gain. Surprisingly the foot felt normal afterwards, not even a twinge.
Club Run
Had the holiday off (Monday) so I went to Cecelie's ab-leg class and it was sooo hard that every inch of my clothes were wet with sweat. She said afterwards that she had missed her run, so we would run on Tuesday. Today (Tuesday) got to the club and it was raining, so we did spin instead. I had the day off so we decided to run in the early afternoon. As I left the club it was hailing- typical Northwest winter day. Went back at 1:30 and there was a clear spot over the club area (top picture) and the pavement was starting to dry. We started out really slow and then picked it up incrementally and Cecelie would ask if my foot was ok. She's normally a 7 minute pace runner, but she slowed it down and ran my pace. After a mile or so I was talking...like...this... Haven't got my running lungs back yet. At one point I looked at my Garmin and it said we were doing an 8:01 pace, so I checked a little later and it was 8:08. About 4 miles in I was getting winded and the foot hurt so we slowed way down and came into the club at 4.6 miles at an 8:55 pace. The foot is tender, but not painful.

7 Comments:

  • I'm really impressed with how much working out you do, and glad to hear you are not in pain running on the foot... hope it continues to improve.

    By Blogger Neese, at 8:13 AM  

  • Great workouts! I love how you add photos to your posts! I might have to try that... when I am able to get back to running outdoors!

    By Blogger teacherwoman, at 5:32 PM  

  • I so miss hiking. Jealous again. I have definite plans to show my wife the Northwest one day.

    By Blogger Bullet, at 6:54 PM  

  • Bummer Jeff... I wish you'd pop out that door 'full of it' and feeling your best all the way through a run or hike! Keep active but be sure to watch yourself and recover!

    By Blogger Deb, at 8:45 AM  

  • Sounds like a great hike! The gorge area is so pretty.

    Glad you're getting some running in. Keep taking care of that foot!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 AM  

  • In regards to a comment you posted on my blog, spinning with your upper body frozen while standing IS a great workout. I used to do some spin at a different gym before I went back to school and we did that all the time, included the one legged intervals. Now at the university's new gym we began one legged intervals one time a couple weeks ago and it was my sister's first time.. she looked at me as if it was silly, but didn't realize how hard it could be! Hehehe. I do like those intervals!

    By Blogger teacherwoman, at 6:17 PM  

  • Great work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home