oregon adventures

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Vancouver Lake Ride


The last few days have been absolutely beautiful out, as long as you are looking out a window. 33-35 as highs is just way too cold. Hearing about temperatures elsewhere, wow it's cold all over the place. Anyway, my friend Kevin was going on a bike ride with a couple of guys from the gym, so I invited myself along. My bike is hanging on the ceiling of the spin room at the club since I spin 3 times a week- it's easier to leave it there. Had to drive to the club and get my bike and Kevin's pedals. He was going to test ride a guy's Kestrel that is the same model as a frame Kevin is thinking of buying.
Got to Vancouver lake at 1:30 and met Doug and Gorden and started out. Even with several layers- it was COLD! My Jeep said 31 at the lake. We just did an out and back around the lake roads, very similar to the Jack Frost Time Trial route coming up in February. Cruised along not going fast or slow. Haven't ridden outside since November, it was nice to be out, but I was starving (forgot to eat lunch) and cold. Gordon was riding a Merlin bike, he said it was from the mid 90's, still looked perfect. They're made of Titanium and one model is over $10,000 new, his wasn't that model, but still very nice. Kevin really liked the Kestrel although it's a tri frame and he wasn't used to that position. I got to try my new aerobars on the road, they were a little tiny bit unsteady, I'll have to move them in off the tape, I have them too wide. Ended up doing 17.03 miles at a 16.2 average.
Being very hungry I stopped at the first place I saw in downtown Vancouver and it was a small Thai place. They didn't have Pra Ram, so I asked and the girl turned to her mom and asked and the mom said" I can make just for you". So I had very good Pra Ram that wasn't on the menu.
Forgot to get a picture at the lake, so I took a picture of Mt Hood from the Vancouver side near the gym on the way to hang my bike back up.

3 Comments:

  • Wow 30 degree weather! Anything over a slow roll on the bike would freeze me out. Don't think I could've handled it. I would have definitely needed a full face mask.

    By Blogger Bullet, at 10:22 AM  

  • It was 28 in temecula while I was there and it was brutal. Throw some wind on top of it and you feel like you're at teh top of a ski lift! Get some Pra Ram take out, go home, turn on the heater and look out the window at that beautiful view!

    By Blogger Deb, at 2:39 PM  

  • so cool you got a custom meal! :o)

    By Blogger Neese, at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home