oregon adventures

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Padden Parkway Path Run


Missed my run on Sunday, so Monday I looked out and it was still clear skies and nice looking. So I thought about running South of Portland somewhere, but dawdled and then noticed it was really cold out, so plan b. Drove up I-205 into Vancouver to the Padden Parkway exit and parked at Krispy Kreme (top picture). A lot of maps of Vancouver don't even show the Padden Parkway, so I think it's a fairly new highway and has a really nice paved bike path along it for about 4 or 5 miles. The best part though is a really long path-only bridge that goes over I-205. When they built it a few years ago, the paper had an article about it being very expensive and delivered by a special truck.
Anyway, left the Krispy parking lot and got to the path and took off, my Jeep said it was 34 out. I started out too fast and then up the bridge and over and then slowed to a comfortable speed. There were patches of ice all over the path as it is shaded in several parts. There was one intersection to cross and both out and back I had the light in my favor as I crossed and didn't lose a step. Only went out 2 and turned around for 4 miles in 35 minutes even for an 8:45 pace. Bought a dozen doughnuts to take to work and displayed great self control- I didn't have a single one. Of course they only lasted 2 or 3 minutes once I brought them in the shop, so I didn't have to resist for long.
In the spin Saturday of the swim-spin we exchanged gifts by playing blackjack in groups of 5 at a time. The rest would spin while each group went up and played. If you won you'd get to pick a present, then if you won the next time you could trade with someone, it got vicious of course. I ended up with some bicyclette wine.

6 Comments:

  • were the doughnuts "hot now" right off the belt?? those are absolutely impossible to resist.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 PM  

  • Spin & vino! Sounds fun. Mmmm. leaving from the Krispy Kreme parking lot sounds a little too convenient!!!

    By Blogger Deb, at 7:53 PM  

  • Hey Jeff,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't believe you didn't hit any of those KKremes. You are a better man then me- that dozen would have been a "9 or 10pack" by the time I got to the office!;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 PM  

  • Swim-Spin sounds like fun. I enjoy reading about the places you run in the Portland area, makes me wanna come up there for some running. Looks like a beautiful place too based on your pictures.
    Happy Holidays!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:09 AM  

  • I, too, would have devoured the Krispy Kremes! Such willpower, impressive!!

    By Blogger Lora, at 3:19 PM  

  • Seems like a pretty good day of training - must be the doughnuts. The swim and spin and gift exchange sounds pretty unique!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home