oregon adventures

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Zoo Turkey Trot


Drove over to the Oregon Zoo for the Turkey Trot 4 mile run this morning. It was damp out, but not raining, but cold. The announcer said there were over 2000 people and it seemed about right because the start was jammed. A little whinning first: last week sometime the wind was really strong and blew the fireplace in my bedroom open and I woke up teeth chatteringly cold. Closeed the flew, but the damage was done and I've been fighting a head cold ever since. Yesterday I took my F-15 incentive ride (this coming Sunday's post), so I was not on my top form today. Since I had to be in to work at 7:30 AM yesterday for my ride, getting up today for an 8 AM run was easy. At the start line I saw Mike, the life support guy at the base who fitted my flight suit yesterday.
At the start I walked for a while and then finally was able to start running after a 100 yards or so. Last year I worked really hard going around everyone. This year I got boxed in a couple times and then would go around and then get boxed in again. Finally after the first mile (8:50) it thinned enough to go at a normal pace. It was close to the same route as the Cheetah run a few weeks ago, so straight down to the Japanese Garden and then back up. On the climb up I was breathing hard, but noticed everyone around was also. At one point a guy slowed way down in front of me just as I was passing some walkers and got boxed in and lost all my momentum. Up the hills and then a downhill through the zoo past the tiger cage where I tried to roar at him, but it hurt the throat. Came across the finish line at 37:39 for a 9:25 pace. That's the worst pace in a run only event this year, but it wasn't a race and after you read this Sunday's post maybe you'll excuse me (hint: I should never ride a roller coaster). At the finish line they had oranges and bananas and a chocolate turkey and jungle crackers. I saw people with pumkin pies, so I found the booth where the Portland Running Co. were giving out pumpkin pies and got one- score! Afterwards it started raining hard, so I walked back to the Jeep through the bear and sea lion exhibits.
Went to Starbucks for a Chai Tea and they were giving away $5 gift cards to each customer- score! Later today I'm going to friends for turkey dinner. My daughter and her boyfriend left for Bend to have Thanksgiving with his dad- she was dressed up- my baby is all grown up. Not ready for that!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

10 Comments:

  • We ran the "Turkey Stuffer" in Eugene. A little rain but mild.
    Know of any New Year Day Runs in Oregon?

    By Blogger kara, at 12:58 PM  

  • Hi Jeff, i'm sorry it wasn't your best time but boy did you score, indeed! i love the assortment of goodies, and a whole pie! WAHOO!!! :o) Happy Thanksgiving

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM  

  • Have you counted how many races you've done this year? What do you do with all those T-shirts? Looking forward to hearing about the F-15 ride. Wow.

    By Blogger Bullet, at 6:09 PM  

  • I LOVE Turkey Trots. We did one too here in San Jose. Looks like the weather was chilly and rainy for your run!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 8:33 PM  

  • Graet pace, bravo on the finish. They gave away PIES?!?!?! How cool is that...

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    By Blogger Mmem, at 5:06 AM  

  • I had to win my pie at the Turkey Trot. Can't wait to hear why no no to roller coasters. Sorry to hear about the side effects.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 AM  

  • Wow, that's the best race shwag I've ever seen! I have to get myself into a turkey trot next year!

    Jodi

    By Blogger Jodi, at 7:03 AM  

  • Sounds like a great Thanksgiving all around...get a run in, free food and good company!

    By Blogger Deb, at 8:48 AM  

  • mmmm...is the pie gone already?? It should be!! Sounds like a fun run. I know what you mean about the kids growing up....goes waay too fast!!

    By Blogger Lora, at 1:07 PM  

  • Nice job on the T2! What's up with the no chip time? I could have used a little documentation after a great time 36.00 (for me any way)...especially following my transplant to FL...???? Help...I'm stuck at zero elevation...no mountains, hills, freezing rain, or otherwise...although I could not walk normally for two days, I savored every cold rain drop that soaked me to the bones! Happy TDay PDXrz, miss U and the cloudz!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home