oregon adventures

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Springwater Bike Path Run


I wimped out on running Sunday because it was raining all day and very dark and gloomy. So today after yoga and before work it stopped raining and the Jeep said it was 67 degrees out. Got changed and headed to Gresham city park for the trailhead to the Springwater bike path and of course it started raining again. Then it started pouring and I was about to leave when it let up to a sprinkle.
Started running at a good pace and about 3/4 mile into the run my back and upper right leg started spasming. So I walked a little and then stopped and did bends trying to find relief. I thought I was done running for awhile- but they loosened enough to start running, albeit very slowly. After I got back to the trailhead the spasming was manageable so I went the other way for awhile and then turned around. The last half mile I got back to an 8:30 pace. Did four miles in 37:46 for a 9:26 pace and got soaked. Going to work the rain got worse and puddles were forming on the streets as they flooded. Then at work I looked out and it was torrential type rain. I'd never run right after yoga, maybe that caused the back pain? Or it was time for the back to do it's normal periodic tightening on me.

During swim class, Denise my teacher invited me to the triathlon swim at 6:00 AM on Saturday in wetsuits. Swimming in a pool with a wetsuit is much easier. We did 1500 meters in intervals. At first I was struggling to keep up and then Denise pushed my feet up level with the water when she was drafting me and it made my head go to the proper position and I was much faster then. After the swim, the group went in the club and set up our bikes and did a spinning class doing intervals. It's much harder using my bike than one of the spinning bikes. Then of course Denise invited me to go to coffee with her and Kevin and three girls. We all agreed over coffee to do 2 half ironmans this year (2007) and a full in 2008. I guess I'm in training!

7 Comments:

  • i'm glad you are in training! make sure you email Wes to be a part of the HM express team! :o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 AM  

  • YEAH! Glad you are in training! I am thinking IM in 2008, but right now it's just a thought. We'll see how this next season goes. :)

    By Blogger Pixie, at 1:22 PM  

  • You went from back spasms to scheduling an IM. I'll take of cup of whatever coffee you were drinking! Having and reaching goals is part of what all of this is about. Looking forward to hearing about your training.

    By Blogger Bullet, at 7:22 PM  

  • Great job. Much easier to train when you have a carrot out in front of you.
    tom riley

    By Blogger seagull junker, at 10:11 AM  

  • Wow! 2 HIM in 07 and a full in 08! I hope your training goes well for you and that little spasming doesn't nag you anymore.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 6:20 AM  

  • Just remember doing 50's, 100k's, or 100 milers it is only one foot in front of the other. Paceing, eating, drinking, etc. is just part of the game. Plus, the longer the race, just the more fun you get to have! Running 10k's hurts too much! Plus, I am too slow. Would rather slug out a 100 miler than do a marathon.

    Try a trail run! Check out the Oregon Trail Series! Hagg Lake is the first one of the season in February. Get ready for mud!

    Most importantly have fun! That is why we do this right?
    tom riley

    By Blogger seagull junker, at 11:30 AM  

  • Look at you filling that calendar!Mike said the rains been crazy up there...unusually heavy. Be safe training and driving!

    By Blogger Deb, at 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home