oregon adventures

Monday, January 01, 2007

Sharky Swim



This morning (830) I did the Sharky swim, an annual event at the LaCamas club I go to. 5000 meters continuously, sort of. We had 5 people per lane and did pulls of 100 meters out front, so every 500 meters you got a few seconds rest as you waited for everyone to go by and jumped back on the back. The Ironman Florida group and the masters swimmers had the first few lanes. Our tri group had the next two lanes. Then others in the last couple lanes. We started out and I was in the back to start. I felt great for the first 1500 and around 2000 it started to get hard. The longest I had ever swam before was 2200 meters, so at 2500 I was in new territory. Around 3000 meters I wanted to quit, but kept going anyway. At 4000 meters, I went on autopilot with no thoughts other than counting and moving my arms and pushing off at each end. Suddenly Cecilia says there's only 400 more and we sped up and it was over. 5000 meters!
In my lane I'm the guy in the red wetsuit, Julie is to my right leaning over, Jan is in the corner looking away from the camera, Cecilia (track coach) is laughing and stretching, and Gloria is the one without a wetsuit on the far right.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • Wow- great job getting through that! The farthest I have swam continuously is 3000. Isn't it amazing how everything just goes into auto-pilot when you hit a certain point in endurance events?

    Jodi

    By Blogger Jodi, at 5:59 PM  

  • They would have to attach a life preserver to me if I was going to attempt 5000. Wow. Great job.

    By Blogger Bullet, at 6:19 AM  

  • Nice way to build your confidence for the new year. You inspire me to try and swim longer but I'm not sure if I can swim that long. Have a healthy and happy new year.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 12:10 PM  

  • wow. 5k in a pool. In an ocean, maybe. I think my shoulders may have fallen off though. Silly, hasn't anyone told you you're supposed to RUN a 5K, not swim it?

    By Blogger Rachel, at 4:54 PM  

  • wasn't it just recently you took swim lessons!? very impressive!

    p.s. the tree pose is my favorite

    By Blogger Neese, at 9:55 AM  

  • Wow--that's just simply amazing!!

    Happy New Year!

    By Blogger Lora, at 11:49 AM  

  • I would be at the bottom of the pool if I attempted that distance. Great job! Happy New Year!!

    By Blogger Pixie, at 12:09 PM  

  • Great job Jeff...nice way to start the new year!

    By Blogger Deb, at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home