oregon adventures

Friday, February 16, 2007

Tagged

1: Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever: I remember being really nervous and making my back lock up the week before. Then at the tri I did the swim and had to go, so I ran into the locker room and couldn't find the bathroom part at first and had a long first transition. It was at the University of Oregon and the bike part went on a bike path in Eugene and there were people walking their dogs, had to slow down and stop a couple of times. Slowed down to say hi to the volunteer girls also, now I"'m a racer- I don't slow for anything. But that race still lingers, almost every moment even though my time was horrible compared to afterwards- can't beat that first time experience!!!
2: Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon: My last triathlon was in The Dalles Oregon and we swam in the Columbia river and the waves were high. At one point they washed over me completely. At first got mouthfuls of water, then I got the rhythm of the waves.
3: What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri? Knock on wood- nothing embarrassing. Of course I tend to wipe embarrassing moments from memory as soon as they happen. I guess the fact that I have yet to do an Olympic distance tri without having to stop and pee once, usually on the run would be embarrassing.
4: What’s the most thrilling thing that’s happened to you in a tri? The scenery- when I'm on the bike in a really scenic race and just looking around while flying along at a good pace- magical!
5: What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons? That I was soooo out of shape all my life! I thought I was in good shape until I started doing tris- this is a whole other level of fitness. To do the full-ironman will be to ascend toward the top level.
6:What is The Big Goal that you’re working towards? I've signed up for the Lake Stevens half in July. Working towards the Grand Columbian full in September. With my Plantar still in healing, the full seems more like a distant dream- but I'll train and see what happens.

4 Comments:

  • 1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever:
    A sprint distance at University of Oregon, same as Jeff. I was the slowest swimmer there. I was in the first wave and was the last one out of the pool. The second wave was waiting on me and I had to swim the last 25yrds on my back. Of course I got a big round of applause when I finished and the triathlon could continue.

    2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon:
    Black Diamond Half. My second half. Being the 9th tri last season, my heart wasn't really in it but I paid and did it anyway. It started terrible and ended terrible. The swim was the roughest start I've been in. It was like we were in a boxing ring in the water. The bike fun and the run exhausting. I bonked the last mile and walked to where I could see the finish and jogged in.

    3. What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
    See number 1. After that it didn't matter where I placed...just that I finished. Everyone should start a triathlon that way.

    4. What’s the most thrilling thing that’s happened to you in a tri?
    My first Half, Vineman 70.3 series in Sonoma County. The whole thing was thrilling. The drive down, the people I was with. The event. The day after and the drive home. Just a wonderful time of being with friends. Lets not forget racing with the Pro's. That was thrilling. I didn't see them but what the heck. I was there.

    5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
    That even thou you don't think you have the time or the ability to achieve your goal...all you have to do is believe in yourself and the rest will come.

    6. What is The Big Goal that you’re working towards?
    Like Jeff the Grand Columbian iron distance in September. My first full and hopefully not my last. I'm actually looking forward to it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 PM  

  • I love the yoru comments about the scenery on the bike. That tells me you're paying attention to everything beautiful around you (and having fun!) keep it going!

    By Blogger Deb, at 8:05 PM  

  • I hear ya on #5. I'm reminded of that I still have a long way to go all the time.

    By Blogger Bullet, at 12:40 PM  

  • Good luck with your July goal. I hope your foot is improving! Run cautiously and listen to your body!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home