oregon adventures

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Jack Frost Time Trial


Did my first bike race of the year today, the Jack Frost Time Trial in Vancouver. It starts at Vancouver lake and goes past Frenchman's Bar park to the end of the road and back for 12.4 miles.
Last year I had a good race, but tired out around 10 miles and did a 20.5 average. This year I'm working out a ton more so I thought I'd do much better.
Yesterday it was pouring down rain, streams running down the streets type rain, so after swimming we did spinning also even though the race was the next day thinking maybe it would be too wet to race. Today it was slightly raining when we met at the club and I rode in the Headhunter's van. When we got to the lake and set up the tent and trainers it was still sprinkling. After awhile it stopped and Kevin and the others on the team went to ride. I was at 12:30 about an hour and a half after everyone else. Frank and Steve K from base were there also and they joined us at the tent. Everyone came back in and talked about a very strong headwind. I warmed up and went out to get in line.
Started out with clearing skies and slightly wet pavement. They hold you up for the start about 30 seconds ahead of your start and then let go at the start time and you take off. I started out (top picture) and hit the wind immediately- it was more than strong! Turned the corner and the wind was from the side and then another corner and the wind was at the back. So I bumped it up to 26-26.5 and cruised for awhile. Then I thought about food and how hungry I was and started drooling uncontrollably, very strange. It also knocked me down to 22-24, so I tried very hard not to think about food anymore. Got to the turnaround and took off back the other way into- WIND. Holy cow wind, it was like climbing a mountain. In the areobars I could go 16-18, out of the aerobars it was 14-16. Unfortunately my back couldn't take being in the aerobars very long- have to work on that. It seemed to take forever to finish the second half of the race- I don't like wind! Finally turned the corner to the finish line and pushed it up to 22 or so, but was worn out by then. Stopped the watch at just over 37 minutes. Last year I did 36:18, this year the results show 39:10, but everyone shows 2 minutes over what their watches said, so I'm going with 37:10 which matches my watch and a 20.02 average. Last year I beat Kevin by a minute or so and this year he beat me by 56 seconds. I did beat coach Denise by 1 second- I think her spin classes next week will be very hard! Afterwards we went to lunch at the Lakeside Chalet restaurant in Camas and I had a veggie omelet and side salad.
Things to work on- 1. Having food or snacks and drinks in the team setting, socialized so much I didn't eat or drink during the 3 hours waiting. 2. Get the back used to aerobar position for long periods of time.
First race of the year and very cool being part of a group at the event.

5 Comments:

  • That's some killer speed on the bike, wind not withstanding! I can imagine you got a little hungry waiting three hours to ride. I always get hungry every 2-3 hours these days. Getting comfortable in the aero position takes lots of time in the saddle, I hear.

    By Blogger Wes, at 5:06 AM  

  • Wow! I am impressed! Sounds like you had quite the wind. When in the aero position, you are working different muscles and it is harder... so I have heard from my spin instructor...

    Nice job!

    By Blogger teacherwoman, at 8:47 AM  

  • LOL! about spin class next week... I sure hope she doesn't hold 1 second over you like that.

    Sounds like a great time despite the wind, etc.

    By Blogger Neese, at 11:22 AM  

  • That weather is tough for you guys....always amazed that you make it happen. You're like me...'Chatty Cathy' and no eating?? I get REALLY irritable. NOT PRETTY! ;)

    By Blogger Deb, at 7:27 PM  

  • Nice work. Looks cold and wet. Yuck. I love going faster in the aeros.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home