oregon adventures

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Dahlia Road Hill Repeats


This morning I got up super early (I work nights until 12 midnight) and made it to the club by 0830 for track workout. Today was hill repeats up Dahlia Road which is near the club. It's between .35 and .4 to the top and is like climbing stairs without the stairs. We started out a little before the top picture and it gets progressively steeper. By the time we got to the curve at the top of the top picture I was doing just faster than a speedwalk with Bridget while Cecilie glided up. Middle picture is looking down from almost the top down to the curve, that's the steepest part.
We did 4 repeats with a slow jog back down. Bridget and I stayed together each time and did from 4:12 to 4:28 each time. Surprisingly the heart rate was high, but not anaerobic. The bottom picture is at the top of the curve looking down.
Then for the real surprise, Cecilie said "do 3.5 now?" Everyone said yes, and off we went around a known loop route for 3.5 miles more. I only had to beg Cecilie to slow down once. Then into the pool where we did 1500, then 300 doing different drills.
Monday I ran with Cecilie, she said she wanted to do 7 miles. We went at a fairly even pace, not fast or slow. She surprised me by taking two small walk breaks to drink water. The first one I stopped my Garmin and forgot to start it up until about .3 miles later. So I don't have a total time, but the Garmin says an 8:55 pace for 6.66 miles. We did a total of 7 with two pretty good hills in there. Then into the pool where we did 4 600's. Plus I did her ab class that night- very hard class.
Tuesday, just 1 hour spin class. It's a 45 minute class, but Cecilie and I stay and spin to make a full hour. Her husband does the class sometimes and was there Tuesday and had saved a place beside her for me- very cool. This time 3 girls stayed and spun with us for the extra 15 minutes.

8 Comments:

  • I didn't see any comments about the foot - how's it feeling? You're getting some quality workouts in. Sounds like you've got a good group to work out with. That's great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

  • Look at you getting those more gals to hang in there for a full hour!;)
    I love all the bloomig tree's!

    By Blogger Deb, at 8:28 PM  

  • Hee, hee. I get those kinds of hills on my every day run. I have to drive for "Flat Repeats". LOL. Good job! I'm particularly impressed with your swimming.

    By Blogger Wes, at 5:34 AM  

  • What beautiful photos! I am jealous of the beautiful scenery. Almost makes me want to find a teaching job in the Northwest!

    By Blogger teacherwoman, at 7:20 PM  

  • You are an animal. You're so consistent. Way to stay after it.

    By Blogger Bullet, at 11:12 PM  

  • Great workouts and beautiful roads to get great hill repeats.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 10:01 AM  

  • beautiful scenery indeed, and that's so neat you have people to workout with especially when they toss in the "do 3.5 now"? which you may not have done if you were by yourself

    By Blogger Neese, at 1:15 PM  

  • Love the scenery where you do the tough hills... helps to keep your mind off the 'pain'. :)

    By Blogger Ms Eva, at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home