oregon adventures

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Race For The Roses- 5K


Did the Race For The Roses 5K this morning in downtown Portland. This race has always coincided with a work weekend or with a tri before and I've never run it. They had a half-marathon and a 5K, both of which started at the convention center and went over the Broadway bridge into downtown.
Awhile back I mentioned to my training partner (Cecilie) about a 5K coming up and she said she doesn't do 5K's. Then this week I mentioned the 5K again and she said "let's do it, what's your goal?" I said an 8 minute pace. So this morning we met at the start line and something I've never done before, we did a warm-up run. She took us about 6-7 blocks at steadily increasing speeds and then back to the start with 10 minutes to go. Started out and passed by the Rose Garden where the Blazers play and I had to work to stay with her as she zipped around people and got into the open. After only a half mile or less I was gasping and unable to talk, so we cruised along with her giving encouragement and saying slow down on the uphills. Before I would charge up a hill and then take a while to recover. She had me slow down going up and then charge down the hill. Passed the first mile at 7:32, I was ready to start walking, but we held a steady pace as I just thought about breathing in and out and getting enough air. She would know somehow when I could take more and speed up and then slow when I was too far out. We passed the second mile with a 7:37 pace for that mile. She said "just do an 8 minute pace now and you've got 24 minutes." All I wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep or something to make the run stop, but this whole race she was doing just for me, so quitting was not an option. Up the ramp to the top level of the Steel bridge and then down to the home stretch. As we turned the last corner I knew I was going to make it!! Crossed the finish line, looked at my time and felt instantly better. 23:49 for a 7:40 pace- a new 5K pr and one of my goals for this year accomplished (a sub-8 5K). I think I was anaerobic the whole time, but it worked! I came in 80th out of 663 and 7 of 20 for my age group. Cecilie actually came in 2nd for her age group, but we didn't stay for awards, we got what we had come for- a pr! They had a Chipolte's booth and Tillamook smoothies and Gleukos- a pretty good post-race spread. They gave us a rose at the finish of course and a nice medal.

11 Comments:

  • Congrats on an awesome race time! Way to go! Race for the Roses was the first race I ever did. I like that run. I could imagine where you were when you described your run. :)

    Nice job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 PM  

  • Forgot to ask - what's your Hood to Coast team?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 PM  

  • That's awesome Jeff! Nice to get another PR under your belt and some company while you're doing it.

    By Blogger Deb, at 3:34 AM  

  • Congratulations on the PR!! That's tremendous and very inspiring. Kudos to your training partner for pushing your limits and help you achieve your goal so early in the year. I hope to do the same someday, and seeing you do it is just fantastic!!

    By Blogger Wes, at 7:51 AM  

  • LOL I can so relate to the wanting to "lay down and go to sleep" during a race! -- Congratulations on a great race and the PR!! WAHOO!!

    By Blogger Neese, at 9:44 AM  

  • Hey! Congrats. New year and a new PR! Awesome!

    By Blogger Bullet, at 7:18 PM  

  • Congrats on your PR! That's so gratifying. It's neat that it was a run for the roses too. Like a racehorse.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 12:41 PM  

  • Jeff, Congratulations on setting a PR! It's early in the season and I think you're on a roll for more PR's. Having Cecilie run with you was a great motivation to push you to the max. She did a great job. Make sure you thank her.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 6:28 PM  

  • Nice job on the PR! Wahoo!

    By Blogger teacherwoman, at 6:20 AM  

  • Jeff- nice effort to the finish and another PR, Congrats!!

    Also- catching up on your blog and read that you are now a P2C riding member of the "Cervelo Mafia"- sweet ride!!

    By Blogger Mike, at 11:09 PM  

  • Awesome! Congrats on the PR! Very inspiring. :)

    By Blogger Ms Eva, at 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home