oregon adventures

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Ride Around Clark County


Did the Ride Around Clark County this morning with the Headhunters team. We started the morning with a 2300 meter group swim and then headed out from the club to do the ride since the route goes right by the club. The swim was supposed to be easy and was for the most part. But on Wednesday training partner (Cecilie) and I did 5X100's at the end of our swim to see where we were and did 1:43 or so without the wetsuit. Saturday's swim we always use a wetsuit, and on one of the 100 intervals I was the lead swimmer and did a 1:32. Bloggers Wes and Matt do those speeds without the wetsuit and I always thought it was out of reach- I'm getting there.
The day was chilly to start, but the sun was out and it warmed up to comfortable with the jacket on. The route goes over the same roads as most of the rides we do from the club, so it was familiar until around the halfway point. They had good food and peanut butter squares candy. Lots of small hills, Gigi (my Cervelo) was ghost shifting the whole ride, but was still like riding a sports car. 23+ around 90 degree corners without a problem, could actually speed up in the middle of the curve. It was surprisingly comfortable- 67 mile ride with a ton of it in the aeros and no discomfort at all. Couldn't help myself, sometimes I had to take off and go to the front of the group and fly. The bike demanded it- I wonder if that's what it's like driving a Porsche? Great country roads with good views, a fun group of 15+ serious cyclists, and an awesome bike- it was a good day. We only did the 65 mile route with a few extra miles instead of the 100 mile route because next week we're going to the Grand Columbian full-ironman site for a training weekend and we'll ride the 112 mile course or as much of it as we feel up to. Got back to the club and they had Margaritas, chips, and a veggie tray, I don't drink but it was still fun. Stats: 67 miles with a 16.2 average. The actual starting point of the ride was the Clark County Community College (top picture). Took Gigi back to the bike store and they found a bad chain link and replaced it, no more ghosting.

9 Comments:

  • ahh sounds like a good day, peanut butter square candy and a Margarita topper :) (you see where my brain goes to, did you even ride? what bike? LOL)

    By Blogger Neese, at 2:43 PM  

  • Sounds like a great ride and a great day! Please send of that my way. :-)

    By Blogger TriShannon, at 4:20 PM  

  • Gigi!! Love the name--always loved Maurice C(won't even try to spell his last name!)

    The bike rides I've been on serve the usual fare---I'm going to have to have a chat with them after reading what the west coasters get treated to!

    By Blogger Lora, at 4:56 AM  

  • The only thing keeping us from sub-1:30 100s is us bro!! You rocked that swim and are such a speed demon on the bike!!

    By Blogger Wes, at 7:09 AM  

  • Sounds like a wonderful day! I need to get back on the bike.

    By Blogger teacherwoman, at 10:22 AM  

  • Ghost shifting ...now i know what it means.
    65 miles - wow - what a ride!

    By Blogger kara, at 11:57 AM  

  • LOVE the name Gigi!! Sounds like another great time surrounded by good people. You are fortunate!

    By Blogger Deb, at 6:52 PM  

  • "ghost shifting" love the language and the name "Gigi"

    By Blogger Bullet, at 6:22 PM  

  • Amazing how the bike demands us to ride like a speed demon. I'm focing myself to ride slower during my build-up phase of my training but I find myself pushing the pace for the thrill of going fast. Too much fun.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home