oregon adventures

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Eugene Marathon


Went down to Eugene this weekend to be support for the Eugene marathon for my training partner. Cecelie, Julie, Steve, Derrick, and myself all rode down together Saturday. Went to dinner at Ambrosia's a fantastic Italian place in downtown Eugene. I brought my old bike to be able to swap out bottles for her at miles 10 and 21. At packet pickup they said bikes would not be allowed on the paths and looking at the map decided it would be easier to drive, so I didn't use the bike. Walked over to the start line in the morning and Celilie warmed up by jogging over to the start instead of walking and then doing a lap around the U of O track where the start was. It was 40 something, so everyone wore long shirts over and then I took those right before start so they didn't have to do the bag drop. Saw Jarod the Subway guy at the start and then a runner sang the national anthem really well and they were off. I went and got the van and drove to mile ten by many backroads because the course was blocked off. Actually found a corner just past mile ten and there were some people cheering, so I waited there. Hard watching a race- I wanted to be out there doing it. All four came by together at a nice pace and I swapped out bottles without making her slow down. I figured I had a little over an hour to get to mile 21 on the other side of the river, so I stopped and got paper and markers and made a sign with each of the four's names. Trying to find a side street that led to the bike path was hard, but ended up on a corner by mile 20. Julie and Steve came by first and then Derrick and then Cecilie, so I gave her her I-pod for the final push and bottle swap. Julie had said- "pictures?" when she passed, so I got my camera and drove to the next park along the path where there was a big cheering crowd, set up my sign and took each of their pictures as they passed. Then the mad dash for the finish line at Autzen stadium (top picture)- crawling through traffic at 5 miles an hour or less as runners went past- I was sure I was going to miss them. Found a parking space down a side street and ran for the finish in time to get Julie in green finishing her first ever marathon in 3:31. Derrick came in next and then Steve and finally Cecilie came in under 3:40 but over her goal.
Everyone was walking a little slow afterwards. We went downtown Eugene to the Nike store where the girls got free shirts for being in the top 100 women. Then to lunch where it took over an hour to get our food, so it was free. Then I drove home since I had the non-marathon legs.
Last Thursday I was supposed to ride at 9, but was running late by 10 minutes and as I drove up to the club a crowd of about 7 or 8 was riding away. I didn't think of it until later, but I could have honked. Instead I got my bike ready and tried to catch them, but that didn't work. So I did my first solo ride of the year. Didn't like it. Last couple of years about 30% were solo rides- not this year. I went 24 miles at a 17.8 average. The Cervelo rides really smooth and does 20 without effort on the flats.
Saturday morning after a 2300 meter group swim, the morning group girls were going to Sauvie's Island to do a flat ride so I joined them. Six of us caravaned in a car paceline to the island and did 12 mile loops around the island. During this ride Bridget said that my new bike needed a name and since Cervello is in Canada- she came up with Gigi because it's a pretty French girl's name. She can call it Gigi, I'm not sure. I had to leave after two laps to go back to the club for the Eugene trip, for 24.7 miles at a 17.8 average.

8 Comments:

  • I imagine you were antsy not being a participant in the race, but it sounds like you were very helpful to your friends and you certainly took some great photos! Congratulations to everyone!

    By Blogger Neese, at 6:08 AM  

  • That's so cool of you to help out. I wonder if I'll get that opportunity anytime soon. I've been going almost 100% solo, including my bike rides, but that's the way my life is these days :-)

    By Blogger Wes, at 7:17 AM  

  • "Hard watching a race-I wanted to be out there doing it." There's always next year. As your friends already know, it's a great course!It was nice of you to be there for them. Transportation is always a hassle. Congrats to your friends - smoking fast times.

    By Blogger kara, at 5:17 PM  

  • What a great guy you are to go out and support them!!! The 'support' is often overlooked. Not you! great job!

    By Blogger Deb, at 8:34 PM  

  • There is always next year - most definately. Very cool that you were there for your friends. They all did a great job! 3:30 on her first! Wow!

    You took some great photos! I don't even know if anyone got a photo of me... hopefully!

    By Blogger Ms Eva, at 9:34 AM  

  • You da man Jeff- very cool to cover support duties for the race! Nice pics too.
    Your crew includes some FAST women!

    By Blogger Mike, at 12:26 AM  

  • Watching from the sidelines would want to make me join in as well. I bet the enjoyed having you there to support them!

    By Blogger teacherwoman, at 12:47 PM  

  • Gigi, huh? I'm thinking it sounds a little girly. ;) Please explain to me the triathlete's thing about naming their bikes. Should I start naming my shoes? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home