oregon adventures

Friday, August 25, 2006

Vancouver Bicycle Club Time Trial


Thursday night I went over the river to Vancouver and did a time trial by Vancouver Lake. You sign in at the Port office (picture) and pay $1 and then go out on the road for the start. It's put on by the Vancouver Bicycle Club and has a guy holding you up so you're clipped in to start, another guy counting the start and a guy at the turnaround to try and watch for traffic. The starter guy then goes across the street and is the finishing timer. Works really well since it's a low traffic road on the edge of the industrial district. They do the time trial every Thursday from June to September- I just heard about it. It's 10 miles, so I went all out as much as I could having run Wednesday night. Between 4-5 miles was into the wind and I slowed from 20-22 to 18-19. After the turnaround I soared along at 23-25 until about mile 8, then 20-22 until the finish. Came across the line and my computer said 28:26 with an average of 21.1 MPH. When I walked back out to give them the number back, he said I did 26:29 which comes out to an average of 22.6 MPH. Next time I need to bring the running shoes, a good half the field went running after their ride. Flat empty road and a brick opportunity. While waiting in the starting line (every 30 second start), I talked to the young guy in front of me and he was going to do the Wisconsin Ironman in a couple weeks as his first ironman.

3 Comments:

  • "they" say you should always have your running clothes/shoes with you just in case. since you travel a lot to these things having some running gear in the back of the jeep (in the little net things on the sides) wouldn't be a bad idea :)

    By Blogger Neese, at 6:18 PM  

  • That's a very fast ride! Thanks for the encouraging comment on my blog about my adventurous ride. It does feel good to forge new paths.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:14 PM  

  • Vey cool to have that available and great job on the time! What a nice surprise, huh?! You are a busy guy...wish I had your energy! ;)

    By Blogger Deb, at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home