oregon adventures

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Canby Triathlon


Did the Canby Sprint Triathlon today and finally got under the 1:20 mark with a 1:19:31 time. The race took place at the Canby Swim center in Canby Oregon. This is the last pool swim tri of the year, so I wanted to do really good on the swim and try for 10 minutes or under. Started the 500 yard pool swim in wave 5, lane 5, 3rd person to go in the lane. After a few laps, I had passed everyone and was the leader in the lane for the rest of the time. When I got out of the pool my watch said I was under 10 minutes for the first time ever! Officially it was 9:45 for a new personal best swim. Ran out to transition (not a jog this time) and off on the bike. Just like last week I felt like I was going so slow and then a hill and several rollers slowed me down even more. Soared on the downhills and came in 2 minutes faster than last year at an 18.8 average. Then to the run where I started to feel tired, but kept trying to keep the pace up. Saw my friend Kevin on the run and knew it would be close, but I probably had him beat. Came across the finish line with an 8:27 run pace and a total time of 1 hour 19 minutes and 31 seconds a new personal best for a Sprint tri. Last year at this race I took third place in my age group and I beat last year's time by 4 minutes, so I thought I'd get a ribbon again this year, so I stayed for awards and didn't get one. The official results showed 7th place out of 12 for my age group. However, overall I came out 60th out of 199 which comes out to 30%, another personal best. A guy at work had recommended a good restaurant in Canby, so we stopped at the Canby Bar and Grill for lunch and it turned out to be really good. I had a walnut and peach chicken salad and a side of baked shrimp and avocado dip- mmm. Overall, very happy with this race. Two weeks from now is my first Olympic distance tri of the year- have to train harder now.

2 Comments:

  • How exciting for you! Congrads on a great race and swim!!!!!!

    By Blogger Deb, at 8:16 PM  

  • Congratulations! Looks like you got the swim down.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home