oregon adventures

Friday, May 05, 2006

Ride to Work

After spending $43 to fill my Jeep, I decided to ride the bike to work on Thursday. The forecast said 80 degrees and sunny, however, I have to be at work at 6 AM, so it was cold then. At mile three or so I got onto the I-84 bike path and my bike did a strange shimmy as I got on the path. After a few feet I noticed the back tire was flat. The first flat since last July and never riding to work before. I got mad, but that doesn't do anything, so I changed it and started up again. That's when I realized that the flat happened on a deserted path in dry daylight, with no cars and plenty of room to spread out- I'm being watched over! I was late for work, but just showed the grease stains on my hands and it was ok. The way home is on a back street that is labeled a bike route. Not very good race training because of the stop signs and lights and people commuting and walking their dogs on the paths, but anytime on the bike is good. 23.3 miles round-trip and a 14.6 avg.
Unrelated subject- gave a homeless guy a dollar at an exit this week for the first time. Usually I just drive by, but a coworker told me how he buys MikeyD's gift certificates and gives them out to the panhandlers. Sounded interesting.

2 Comments:

  • I also am tired of rising gas prices and want to bike more to work and just getting around.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 12:33 PM  

  • Good job on the commute decision! The dough for the homeless guy, what's a buck? I will usually buy food. We take so much for granted. BE CAREFUL on the bike...the roads can get crazy and dangerous!

    By Blogger Deb, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home