oregon adventures

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

OHSU Acting Job

Had an acting gig at Oregon Health & Sciences University (OHSU) today. It's a program called standardized patient training where actors act as patients to give the medical students practice with patients. Today I had diabetes and answer history questions and let the students do an eye and reflex exam. Today were first year students, so they are good, but not completely sure of themselves like the third or fourth year students. Afterwards I drove down the hill into the rush hour traffic, so I went to the other side of the river from downtown and parked at the science museum and ran along the Eastbank Esplanade path. It's a jogging, bike path from the museum to the steel bridge which has a path over it to connect with the downtown river front path. I did 4 miles round trip which took me over the bridge and about a quarter mile on the downtown side. It was a partly cloudy 60 degree day with tons of bike commuters and runners on the path. I felt good and was going really good, turned around when my GPS said 2 miles and my watch said 15:42- a 7 something pace!!! So I tried to keep it up even though it was tiring. The last 1/4 mile beside the museum were excruciating, but I knew if it was hard I must be going fast and sure enough my watch said 31:10 at the end for a 7:47 pace the fastest 4 mile run of my life! After that I drove a back street out of the area and found a section with all sorts of restaurants- I picked Thai take out. Then I saw a Moroccan, Egyptian, Mediterranean, and a vegetarian restaurant. A part of Portland I hadn't noticed before. Had a nice picture of the campus, but I tried three times to upload it and it got stuck each time.

1 Comments:

  • Very cool. Portland is one of those places that seems like you can discover a new neighborhood everyday. Not a bad deal on the run either...pretty impressive pace. I'm always a little jealous of those that can squeeze in a midday workout...I can't make that happen. You HAVE to try The Tin Shed in Alberta.... I'm tellin ya!

    By Blogger Deb, at 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home