oregon adventures

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

yoga breakthrough

It's not an adventure, but it is a breakthrough for me. I've been doing yoga since January and haven't been able to do the Sarvangasana (shoulder stand) pose until this week. I started into the pose as always with the thought of stopping part way resting the back on my hands, but this time I decided to push on and all of the sudden I was up. The teacher came over and supported my legs to let me feel what the pose should feel like and then I came out of it. For me it's a milestone! Back on January 2nd I was inner tubing on Mt Hood and went over a ramp and the tube went one way and I went straight. I had time to think "oh, oh" and hit my shoulder on the snow. My first ever ambulance ride, first ever morphine, first ever vicadin, hopefully the last for all three. Separated the shoulder and now I have a bump that the doctor said is permanent- the ligament is gone. It took weeks before I could swim again, but I'm pretty much ok now, it still moves on it's own sometimes, but doesn't hurt and now I can do a shoulder stand! Yesterday I swam 1500 yards in the pool in about 31-33 minutes, which is the speed I was at in December before I hurt the shoulder- so I'm back to normal. Now to improve!!

2 Comments:

  • I tried the shoulder stand and it is tough. Glad to hear the breakthrough.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 10:40 AM  

  • Wow!!! That is awesome. Doesn't it feel great to achieve something physical. Reminds you 'it's good to be alive'. One more skill you'll continue to hone to perfection!
    Congrads..

    By Blogger Deb, at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home