oregon adventures

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon


I'm back- sorry for the silence. Anyway, did the Blue Lake Olympic distance triathlon today. Yesterday it rained and rained and was supposed to be the same today, but it held off and the pavement was dry. Got in the water and it wasn't that bad temperature-wise. Started off and stayed with the main group getting banged around, but the goggles were not hit, so it was ok. Got to about the third or fourth buoy out of five and started to flag, so I consciously stepped it up and stayed fast. At the last buoy coach Denise and her husband caught up with me and said to draft them into the finish, unfortunately turning the last corner was hard and I lost them and pooped out and came in at 28:48 or so an Olympic distance best by over 7 minutes. Then up the ramp and onto the bike. The bike course is on Marine Drive which is flat and fast normally. My back was stiff, so I couldn't stay in the aeros for long stretches and the wind was a headwind both directions, so I guess it was actually a side wind. Anyway, just plugged along trying to keep it over 20 and when in the aeros I would do 21-22. Came across the mats and my speedometer said a 20.3 average- unfortunately the results haven't been posted yet, so I don't know for sure. Then a fairly short transition to the run. I started out easy and built up to a comfortable pace and kept it there. The first mile my watch said 8:48 and I sped up a little and would high-five each person of the Headhunters as they passed- that was fun. Flagged the last .2, but still came into the finish at 54:06 a triathlon 10K best, but not a 10K best. I had stopped the watch after the swim instead of hitting the lap button, so I missed the first transition, but my watch said 2:30, so if I had a 4 or 5 minute transition I did 2:35, an Olympic distance best by over 30 minutes!
As for my silence- I hit the wall right after my last post. I was fine when clipped into the bike or when running, but when not working out, not right. The buzzing in my head for a couple of days should have been a big clue. So I cut way back on the training and went to Warner-Robins AFB Georgia for a week long conference. They had a great running path on base there and I did 6.4 miles one day and 9.2 two days later. Also ruined my training diet- there was nothing healthy to eat there and tons of sweet tea to drink. Anyway, emotionally and mentally I was not right after the last post and I damaged a relationship with the most amazing person and friend I've ever known. That's why I stopped blogging and commenting, silly, my kids and family are healthy and well, I'm healthy and fine- but it hurts and I see no way to repair it.

10 Comments:

  • I'm so sorry to hear about your sadness. I wish I could help in some way - even if just to give you a hug and let you know I'm thinking of you.

    Congrats on the awesome O.Tri! Way to go! Perhaps you left some of your pain/hurt on the course?

    Take care of yourself.

    By Blogger Ms Eva, at 6:11 AM  

  • Nice job on your tri! That's awesome. You worked hard and it really really showed. Listen, there isn't anything that can do permanent damage to a deep and abiding friendship. Whatever happened, make it right...

    By Blogger Wes, at 8:07 AM  

  • So glad to see that you're back. I was getting worried! Look's like you came back as Superman. Great time on the Oly!

    By Blogger Bullet, at 2:55 PM  

  • "Silly" to feel bad about fearing you hurt an impt person in your life?? Of course not--like Wes said, Fix it, it should come back even stronger.

    Great job on the tri.

    And it's nice to have you back.

    By Blogger Lora, at 6:02 PM  

  • There is ALWAYS grace and forgiveness...you'll find it and I'll be thinking of you. Glad your back safe. Focus on staying healthy (physically, mentally and spiritually) and everything will fall in place.

    By Blogger Deb, at 6:48 PM  

  • That's a great 10k time - glad to see you back posting.
    Life sucks sometimes, I guess to make the goodtimes look great.

    "Jack Sparrow: One question about your business, boy, or there's no use going: This girl... how far are you willing to go to save her?
    Will Turner: I'd die for her.
    Jack Sparrow: Oh good. No worries then."

    By Blogger kara, at 4:57 PM  

  • Nice job on your tri! :)

    Sorry about the damaged friendship. If you are truly sorry, it seems that your friend would eventually see that. As long as you do your part to repair it, that's all you can do. I pray for positive results for you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:21 PM  

  • Take some time for yourself. Moderate exercise does help, at least for me but not if I overdo it. Great job on the race. Try to forgive yourself. Go easy.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:21 PM  

  • Jeff, I'm sorry to hear of the hurt you've had recently. As Deb said, grace and forgiveness may be the key for repair. We hope the best for you and hope the blues go away. Speaking of blue, congratulations on your great blue lake tri!

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 12:46 PM  

  • oh goodness i can't believe i've missed this post, i'm so sorry you are going through a rough time. As for the friendship, if you have apologized it really is up to the other person, take care of yourself, one day at a time. come back soon!

    By Blogger Neese, at 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home