oregon adventures

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

PIR Bike Race 4


Decided to go racing at the Portland Speedway tonight for the 4th time this year. Two times ago I went right after a triathlon and lost the group on the 3rd lap. This time it was right after a triathlon, but I decided to do it anyway. Started out and fell back and had to push to hold on then stayed fairly close, but still not as close as I should be to the wheel in front. There was a very strong wind and only about 15 people, so the line was ragged and hard to stay with as it gyrated and went from one line to two and back to one. Unfortunately at the end of the 3rd lap they had a hot spot (like a sprint bonus in the tour)and everyone sprinted to get the points. I was on the back and there was a delay in acceleration back there and when they took off, I didn't have the legs to stay, but I gave it everything and pushed to get back to the group and kept them in sight all through the fourth lap and even gained a little in the straightaway pushing it to 24.5- but one rider against the wind versus 14 against the wind is not going to work and they started to pull away. I kept going full bore and finished to some applause from the few spectators as I did a one man out of the saddle sprint at the end. Even though I fell off the group, I was proud of this race because I pushed it even with tired legs and I felt like I am improving and finished with a 22.9 average with a headwind. I talked to Sandy (pretty girl from the base who did Onionman tri with me) today and she did a marathon Sunday and had her worst run ever. She threw up twice during the run, but she said she was going to finish no matter what and she did.
On a personal note I got promoted at work, got the swing shift supervisor job for my shop. After a couple of months of days, I'll go to permanent swing shift- no idea what that will do to my training and adventuring.

3 Comments:

  • wtg on the race! :)
    and congratulations on the promotion!!! i had to look up "swing shift", 4pm-midnight? wow, it'll be interesting to see what time slot ends up working best for your training.

    By Blogger Neese, at 12:44 PM  

  • wow...look at you go! Even better, you top it off with a promotion! Congrads. That swing shift & training might end up being a beautiful thing! Congrads!!!!!

    By Blogger Deb, at 6:50 PM  

  • Wow. You're braver than I. Cycling scares me! Isn't that funny?

    By Blogger Rachel, at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home