oregon adventures

Monday, August 25, 2008

Hood To Coast


Ran the Hood to Coast relay race this weekend. It's a 197 mile relay with 12 person teams and each person does three legs. I was in van 2 this year and had leg eight. Started out by Sandy running towards Boring by some nurseries. I started good and passed some very cute girls and tried to keep a constant pace with some small rollers and only 4.55 miles. Came in with a low 8's pace. Then to Saint Helens where we got some Burger King (only thing open- yuck) and tried to sleep at a fairgrounds. It was way too noisy, I lay on top of the van and looked at the stars and listened to the exchange cheering and port-a-pottie doors slamming. After a couple hours of that it was back in the van and running leg 20, my second leg. it was somewhere around 3-4 in the morning, but a half moon gave pretty good light. This leg is called Pittsburgh hill and it goes up somewhere around 1100 feet in 5.75 miles. I just got in a good zen mode and ran up it at a 9:37 pace. Half-way up the road turns to dirt and the vans going by kicked up tons of dust.
The second rest area was out by the town of Mist in a field with tons of other vans. Couldn't sleep there either because it was morning and starting to heat up. It took 20 minutes or so to go through the porta-pottie line. Layed up on top of the van again and one jaw dropping gorgeous girl said "that looks like a good setup". I replied "perfect". I guess I should have said something about the van setup. My third leg was on the outskirts of Astoria on a pretty back road. We saw the girls Headhunters team van 2 and knew we would pass them soon. Everyone said I should slap her butt if I passed her, but at the two mile point I saw Juliette and as I passed her I touched her shoulder and said "you can draft me", but she couldn't go that fast. This leg had some rollers and I got to the point of wanting to throw up and stayed at that pace. 20 road kills on this leg- that's when you pass someone. 4.09 miles at an 8:23 pace. Then into Seaside and showers and to the beer garden. Last year we had a place to stay and partied. This year we had to drive back so we only did an hour and a half in the beer garden, not as fun. Then the long drive home.

5 Comments:

  • Jeff,

    Nice job in the HTC. I've always thought the Headhunters van was pretty cool. Do you guys take that out to all the events you enter? HTC this year was great... I preferred the sunshine at the beach to the mist and rain from last year. Roadkills are so frustrating... this year I ran a 7:23 cumulative pace on Leg 9, and killed 12 total, and got killed at least 15 times. Last year, I ran 7:00, but killed 30+ and only got killed once. Van mates with slower paces this year killed tons of people and hardly got passed. Go figure...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 PM  

  • Way to go Headhunters!!! There are always a few must see teams and the Headhunters are it.

    Had a blast again this year. I always wish I would take more photos. I'll post some but I just wanted to say "Great Job" to another runner.

    By Blogger ledemure, at 11:12 PM  

  • Congrats HeadHunters! What a fun way to celebrate friendship & running. I wish I knew 11 running buddies that would be willing to do HTC with me! :D

    By Blogger Ms Eva, at 6:23 AM  

  • Congrats...A friend of mine did it last year and it is in my plans... (mid-term plans, though....

    take care...
    lizzie

    By Blogger lizzie lee, at 7:53 PM  

  • Hey Jeff.. Where are you??? very long time and very long no-see!!!

    By Blogger lizzie lee, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home