oregon adventures

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Crown Point Ride and Trail Run


Did a long training ride on Sunday, the day after doing a triathlon. Started at the LaCamas Swim and Sport club in Vancouver. My friend Kevin joined the club and their tri club and improved by 1000%. He said the tri club does Sunday morning rides, so I joined them. It was led by Denise who is a part owner of the club and has done tons of tris. Started out easy through town, then over the I-205 bridge and then on Marine Drive we did a paceline at 24+ (5 people on the ride). Then comes the climb. It's about 750-800 feet from Troutdale to Crown Point and it gets easier each time, next year I need to work hill speed into it. Sat awhile at Crown Point soaking up the view of the Gorge (sorry, forgot my camera). Then instead of just going down, one of the guys suggested another climb, so we turned up a road in Corbet and climbed some more. Then the 40+ downhill zoom. More pacelining on Marine Drive and back over the bridge and through town. I was feeling wiped by then. Stats- 58.2 miles 15.9 average. Denise gave me the hard sell tour of the club afterwards. It's a 30-45 minute drive from home, but 10-15 from work. Very triathlon centered club- maybe, still thinking about it.

Today I went for a run on the Springwater dirt part- same as last week. This time I went to the end across a dirt parking lot and then back for 4.8 miles. Only slight twinges of the right ham and sciatic, so I stepped it out a little and came in at 42:32 with a pace of 8:52. Yeah, back under 9 minutes! Drove up the road to a point where I could get a picture of the fish processing plant and the trail. If you look real close there is a mountain biker on the trail.

4 Comments:

  • very cool! You never know...the club might be a fun and convenient way to get some more training (and socializing!) in so close to work. ;)

    By Blogger Deb, at 4:38 PM  

  • Wow! Paceline 24+!!
    Joining a club for me has helped my group riding skills (but 24+ not there yet).

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 6:07 AM  

  • That's a lot of training/racing. No wonder you slept in Monday!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 3:53 PM  

  • well was denise a "pretty girl"? :) just kidding, that would be a big decision with the location being far from home yet close to work... you know yourself best... congrats on the improved PACE!!! sub-9 is fanstastic! i'm happy for you!

    By Blogger Neese, at 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home