oregon adventures

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Riding in the Rain and Sun


Two of the people on the club triathlon team qualified for the world half-ironman championships in Clearwater Florida in November. So, we use them as an excuse to keep training because they need support. So last Wednesday they needed to do speed work, so I went with them out to the Vancouver lake area to do flat speed riding. We got there and it was cloudy but the pavement was dry, but off in the distance the hills of Portland weren't visible. So just as we started to ride the curtain that had hidden Portland hit us. It poured for about five miles of riding, then stopped and a small circle of blue sky showed up and between the sun and a very strong wind, the pavement was dry again by the second ten mile out and back. I led during the windiest section so they wouldn't get worn out too much with only weeks to go for their race. We ended up doing 25 miles at a 19.2 average, the top picture is of Gigi (my bike) in the back of my Jeep when I got home. She was not happy about getting that dirty. Saturday after group swim it was pouring out so we did 1 1/2 hours of spinning inside instead of riding outside. But today it was really nice out so after a 10.2 mile run at a fast for me 8:50 pace three of us decided to ride outside for a nice 20.2 miles at a 16.8 average. Tomorrow is supposed to be 60+ and sunny, so we're thinking of doing at least a 30 mile ride. I need 60.4 more miles to reach 3000 miles riding this year.
Thursday I'm flying to Los Angeles to visit my son. I'll take my running shoes and do some warm southern California running.

9 Comments:

  • Poor Gigi :-) My Aerowyn luvs to get dirty and nasty. Rowwwrr :-) Have fun running in Cali! 3K miles, you are an ANIMAL!!!!

    By Blogger Wes, at 5:34 AM  

  • Watch out for the Wild Fires.

    By Blogger kara, at 12:49 PM  

  • safe travels, would love to hear how your visit goes!

    By Blogger Neese, at 1:06 PM  

  • You'll hit that 3000 mark no problem.

    By Blogger Papa Louie, at 6:56 AM  

  • Wonderful to find excuses to keep training.... Especially to beat ourselves when we are in that horrible mood of finding excuses to "not keep training"...

    By Blogger lizzie lee, at 11:30 AM  

  • Enjoy the sunshine in CA. Hope it's not too hot for running. I know what you mean about those downpours. I ran through a deluge on Sat. - I'd much prefer the sunshine, but we do live where we have to workout in the rain (or we'd never workout!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:47 PM  

  • That sounds like a wonderful reason to keep the season going! Good luck to your teammates.

    home rehab

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:23 AM  

  • Happy Halloween!! :o)

    By Blogger Neese, at 8:48 AM  

  • SoCal will be a nice change. I don't ride in the rain (don't have to around here).

    By Blogger Rachel, at 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home