oregon adventures

Monday, January 20, 2014

Ashland Shakespeare Festival

Back in August 2012, I went to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland for the first time since I moved to Oregon in 1992. I've read alot of books about the civil rights movement and they were putting on a play about LBJ and MLK and the passage of the civil rights act. My Jeep is getting old, so I rented a Chevy Impala SS with a sunroof and spoiler. Stopped in the quaint town of Oakland Oregon for lunch on the way down. Then at Glendale I got off the highway and drove 30+ miles of paved forest road to the Mt Bolivar trailhead. Climbed Mt Bolivar which is the Coos county highpoint and in the Wild Rouge wilderness. After that I made it to Medford and golfed 9 holes at Bear Creek as it got dark, then spent the night at the Hampton in Medford. The next day I golfed 9 holes at Cedar Links in Medford and then drove to Ashland and checked into the McCall House B & B. Beautiful place with a huge bay window in the room. Then I drove south to the Soda Peaks wilderness trailhead and hiked 6.6 miles with 1300 ft gain to the Soda Peak lookout and Little Pilot Rock. Back to the B & B to wash up and walk one block to downtown Ashland for dinner and then to the Elizabethan stage to see "As You Like It". I had a first row balcony seat which was perfect. I could watch the play and watch the stars come out above the stage since it's an open air theatre. Great show and experience!
Next day I golfed 9 holes at Oak Knoll in Ashland (picture). Then I drove to Mt Ashland and climbed to the summit which is the highest mt in Oregon west of I-5 (top picture is the summit). Then later walked up to the Agnus Bowmer theatre to see the civil rights play "All The Way". I had a third row front seat and could see the actor's expressions. It was an incredible play and very moving. The next day I golfed 9 holes at Stewart Meadows and then drove home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home